My Author Spotlight this week is a woman that I have come to know via Facebook, and she’s one of the kindest people I’ve “met.” It’s always nice when you connect with someone who shares the same fears and hopes you do. Although, the more writers I meet, the more I find a recurring theme…big dreams and sometimes bigger fears, but all of them have taken the leap to see theirs through. And that’s what Laura Dunaway has done…
Synopsis of Distorted:
Aly Chase has worked for Paul Pierce for years, loving him from afar. He is handsome, rich, and the powerful CEO of Pierce Homes. Just when Aly has decided her love for him is futile and vows to move on, Paul begins to give Aly the attention she had always desired, forcing her to feel confused by his actions.
Then there’s Aly’s best friend, Ethan Baker. He’s sweet, handsome and charming. He is also in love with her. He’s accepted that Aly and he will only be friends, until one day Aly realizes that her feelings towards Ethan are way more.
Aly is caught in between the man she’s loved for so long and the man that has always been there for her. As her feelings are pulled and tugged in both directions, she must make a choice before her distorted life loses both of them.
Who will end up winning Aly’s heart?
Get to know…
- Distorted is your first novel, a story about unrequited love on several levels. Is that a subject you are familiar with? What about this story was so important for you to share? ~ It’s definitely not something I am familiar with. It was completely made up in my head. Not sure I felt there was anything important to share necessarily. I’m just a huge romantic at heart and love the angst of a romance.
- What made you choose Distorted, as the title of your book? ~ Because the whole story is completely distorted, especially a certain scene.
- Is there any part of your story that you can relate to personally? ~ Not at all.
- When you create your characters, are they based on anyone you know? Are there any characters that are a large piece of you? ~ No, they’re not at all. Aly is a part of me in her being so wrapped up in a guy and how emotional she is.
- Have you always wanted to be an author? ~Yes!
- What is your favorite part of creating a story? ~ Being able to write from the heart. I love it when my characters speak to me and tell me how they think the story should go. I love having the inspirations and being able to create that whole story.
- What do you consider the hardest part of writing? ~ Focusing. I have so many story ideas in my head, it’s hard for me to focus on just one.
- You self-published. Did you attempt traditional publishing, first? ~ Nope, I always knew I’d self-publish.
- As we both have discussed, you can’t please everyone. You have gotten some wonderful reviews, but how do you handle negative reviews? Do you read them, or choose to ignore them? ~ I am very emotional so I thought negative reviews would kill me. So far, I’ve handled them okay. I have to remind myself it’s one person’s opinion and I knew going in not everyone would like my story. I used to read them all the time but now I don’t check much anymore.
- Who would you consider your inspiration personally? Professionally? ~ So many people in my life. My parents, my husband, my grandparents, siblings. That’s probably more than you intended but I come from a very close and supportive family. Professionally I also have many. My editor, Jennifer Roberts-Hall, is a huge one. She keeps me going and is my cheerleader. I wouldn’t be here still if it weren’t for her.
- What would you consider to be your biggest accomplishment? ~ That I WROTE a book!!! 🙂
- What do you feel is the biggest misconception about writing? ~ That it’s easy. It’s not.
- If someone asked for your advice about writing a book, what would it be? ~ Do it! Don’t let anything hold you back. You can ask a million people for advice but ultimately, it’s up to you and how you want to do it.
- If you had to choose, who would be your top 3 favorite authors? Why? ~ Wow, this is tough. I love Mary Higgins Clark. I love mysteries and have been reading her books since I was a teenager. My grandmother and I would always read and talk about her books when we were finished. I think she is a great author and a great role model. I also love a new up and coming author, RE Hunter. I have been privileged to be able to read her book that will be out in November, Undone. It is such a great book and the male MC is going to be everyone’s next book boyfriend. Watch out ladies, you’re in for a treat. I also recently found a great author named Whitney G. She wrote Mid Life Love and I absolutely loved this book. She is very sweet and has the sequel to that coming out soon. If you haven’t read her, do it.
- Are you reading anything right now? What? ~ Yes, I am reading Arsen by Mia Asher.
- Are you working on another book now? If so, what can you tell us about it and when do you hope to publish? ~ I am working on the sequel to Distorted. It’s about the guy she didn’t choose and his HEA. I am hoping to publish in January.
- If you could say anything to your readers, what would you say? ~ Thank you so much for reading my book. That’s what every writer dreams of when they publish, that someone will read their book. We put our heart and souls into our work and to have someone take the time to read it means the world to us. Thank you.