I recently posted this on my Facebook page:
Soundtrack of your life? If you had to pick 10 songs that fit you perfectly….what would you pick??
Here are mine:
1. The Time of My Life by Bill Medley & Jennifer Warren (I listed this in my journal back in ’94)
2. At Last by Etta James – (My wedding song)
3. I’ll Stand by You by The Pretenders – (VERY special song to me)
4. Through My Prayers by The Avett Brothers – (No words)
5. Special Angel by Bobby Helms – (Another VERY special song)
6. Unwritten by Natasha Beddingfield – (preferably sung by Gidge)
7. I’m Coming Home by Robert Earl Keen – (Hubs was deployed and I listened to this on heavy rotation.)
8. Just a Girl by No Doubt – What girl DOESN’T relate??
9. In the Meantime by Spacehog – I will FOREVER think of my sis when I hear this one.
10. Pride & Joy by Stevie Ray Vaughn – Because simple….he is BAD ASS!!
But I haven’t been able to let it go, so I decided to go a little further into the WHY of my choice for these songs. So here it goes:
- The Time of My life by Bill Medley & Jennifer Warren. When I was about 18, Ally McBeal was a new show on Fox. I immediately fell in love with the quirky lead and her insane imagination. I had moved out of my parent’s house and was living alone…talking to myself. (Often) I was always a fan of Dirty Dancing, and always loved the song, but something about choosing a theme song for my life caught my attention and I noted it in my journal. For years, that song was on heavy rotation….in my head.
- At Last by Etta James. I don’t think we really had a “song” at the time we got married. I was a huge fan of old music. I scoured the internet for ideas of possible wedding songs, and none of them worked for me. I mean…NONE! I’m not sure how it happened, but I found this Etta James song, that I’d heard millions of times before, and fell in love. I don’t think I even told him what our song was until the wedding day. But even now, when I hear it (or play it) it brings the biggest smile to my face.
- I’ll Stand by You by The Pretenders. Do you remember that dark day in high school? The one where you thought no one understood? The one where you felt so incredibly alone and scared that there was no way out? I do. That was my senior year. Depression was something I hadn’t experienced before and it hit me hard. So hard, that my mom found me a therapist that I saw only twice and quit when I felt her “advice” to me was total and utter bullshit. BUT, my mom got it. She knew. She was there for me and tried to help me in the lowest point I had experienced up to that point. She had no word, but she had music. This song. This song brought me to my knees in tears and I knew that my mom loved me more than anything. (As if I didn’t already know.)
- Through My Prayers by The Avett Brothers. I know we all have dark times. And times where someone slips away before we can tell them what we feel. It’s a real and true fear that someone might leave our lives without every truly knowing everything. I have cried and smiled to this song because it touches on so many feelings for me. It gives me comfort and strength to push. It’s sad to know that we are more concerned or worried for others than they ever will be for us. But you have to stay true to you…whatever that it. ❤
- Special Angel by Bobby Helms. This was the song I danced to at my wedding with my dad. I cried. I had to idea what song he chose and it still means so much to me. It’s one that, for years, I sang to my own daughters to help get them to bed. It just makes me smile.
- Unwritten by Natasha Bedingfield. I will FOREVER love this song because Gidge fell in love with this song when she was 5. She would sing it all the time, even with messed up words. We have a video of her singing when she thought no one would listen. As she’s gotten older, I think she’s realized the power of these words and they’ve certainly become a staple for me.
- I’m Coming Home by Robert Earl Keen. O.M.G. Tears. So many tears. It was 11 years ago that my husband deployed leaving me alone with an almost 2 year old and a barely 3 month old. I learned strength unlike I’ve ever known during this time. I learned the meaning of love. I learned so much about myself, but his words were always there cheering me on. My husband KNEW I could do it, and I wanted to prove him right…so I did what I had to do for my girls and for him….mostly for myself. I would listen to this song because it was his love song to me. And when he returned 6 months later, I took him to see REK at the Norva in VA and he thanked REK for his words.
- Just a Girl by No Doubt. BEST. DAMN. GIRL POWER song. This was my anthem in high school and beyond. There are some songs that never age and this is one of them.
- In the Meantime by Spacehog. Okay, so this may seem like an odd song to have listen, BUT there’s a reason. In high school I had ONE boyfriend and we broke up senior year. Every weekend in the summer, my sister and I (and MAYBE another friend) would head to Galveston. We’d drive up and down the seawall in her Tacoma with the sunroof open BLARING music. This song was sure to play and every time I hear it, I think of her. (Have you read MTL??? It’s in there!!)
- Pride & Joy by Stevie Ray Vaughn. There is NO explanation necessary. I love all of his music.
So there you have it. My “explanation” for my top 10. What are your top 10 songs??