This past weekend, I had the honor and privilege of attending RT Booklovers Convention in Dallas. I saw pictures from last year, but knew very little about it, so being there as a volunteer and friend of Kathryn Falk, founder and CEO if RT Book Reviews was great. (If you have not met Kathryn yet, you are missing out.)
My trip started out eventful from the start. How you may ask? Well, I rode with this woman…
….Yeah, she’s crazy and totally #inappropriate. So if I were to say it was boring, I would totally be lying.
I HATE…I mean H-A-T-E driving to Dallas. And it’s not because I hate Dallas, I love it. But I hate the drive from Houston. It’s about the most boring drive ever! But not with Blue. We talked the entire drive there about anything and everything. And of course she made the above image.
We got to Dallas and checked in so we could get settled in our room and find the people we were eager to see. It took a while to locate our peeps, but we did. And the first person I saw was my girl Molly. I love her so much because she is one of the most down to earth people in this industry. Molly and Colleen have both been so gracious and have taken time out of their schedule to visit with me…for no reason. Lol. I admire both of them so much and have only great things to say about these two women. They can teach all of us a thing or two about how success should be done. #Humility.
After chatting with Molly, we headed upstairs where I finally….F I N A L L Y got to meet Kelsie Leverich who was rooming with my other friend Stacey Lynn (who was on an epic photoshoot at the time). For almost two years, these girls have been among those who have been closest to me in the book world. We support each other, challenge each other, and just listen. (I’m still waiting to meet the rest of the girls, but I was so happy to be with these two.) Stacey and I met in person back in November and she was easy to be around. You add Kelsie and Stacey together and it’s perfection. There is something special about being so close to people online and meeting them in person to discover that the relationship is just as strong IRL.
Highlights of RT:
- Dinner with Molly & Cory. They are so funny together and so adorable! ❤
- Drinks are expensive at the bar, but taste pretty good.
- Colleen Hoover is too popular. I only got to hug her once. 😉
- It’s hard not to fangirl over your favorite authors…just sayin’
- Dinner with some amazing ladies on Saturday was delicious and so much fun.
- I know there’s more….I just can’t seem to think of them.
RT had so many people in attendance and so many things to do that it’s hard to pick out my favorite. I will say the highlights included a surprise visit from EL James who was so kind and took time to take pictures with anyone who wanted to….even if we were in our PJs. I should know, I took two!
Some things I took away this weekend:
- Smile. You are out there doing what you love and people actually want to read/hear what you have to say. Some people are having a crap day and your smile might be the thing to turn it around.
- Be kind. For the same reason above. What do you get out of being rude or pretentious? Nothing but people talking about it when you turn around.
- Be approachable. It helps start a conversation…now if you don’t want anyone to talk to you, do the opposite. 😉
- Avoid the drama. Yeah, we all know there is drama everywhere and it’s not hard to find if that’s your thing.
- Ask questions. Ask LOTS of questions. There are so many wonderful people out there who are eager to share their knowledge and experience, why not ask?!
- LISTEN. O.M.G. Listen!! When someone bestows their understanding of the industry, whether it is this one or another, listen. They don’t have to talk to you. They don’t have to tell you a single thing. But if for some reason they think you are worth it, listen. You can learn so much.
- You are not better than anyone else. The moment you think you are, is the moment that reality might just slap you in the face. Some of our journeys may be a little rougher than others, or some are just plain lucky…others still work their asses off for it. We are all just trying to make it in this world.
- Find the fun in all of it. I mean really…does this need an explanation??
I am so lucky that I got to have this experience and I am so grateful to Kathryn Falk and her amazing RT family who put on this event. The RT Team is full of wonderful people who put their heart and soul into making this a great time for all. Mission: Accomplished!